Friday, July 31, 2015

Welcome to my Club Music Blog!

So I've taken the plunge and decided to start a blog. Check that, start TWO blogs on two very different themes - stamp collecting and club culture.  This is the club music blog. I've been a fan of club music and club culture since the 1980s and today one of my hobbies is being an internet DJ in virtural reality world Uthervese.  My background in club culture though goes way back.  I was definitely a club kid in the 1990s, and I also worked part-time at the Columbus, OH DJ store Culture 7 Records while attending Ohio State as a graduate student (I have an MA in history and worked on the PhD until academic burnout led me to leave academia in 2002). After Culture 7 Records closed in  2002 I decided to try my hand as a small business owner, creating an online DJ store called Vinyl Euphoria. The store lasted for a bit over five years, but the change from DJ prefence for hard copy to downloads would lead to me closing the store down in late 2007.  All the while I worked as a video DJ at the old martini bar Havana here in Columbus, VJing there from 1998 to 2009 and specializing in club music videos.

Since late 2010 I have been an internet DJ in virtual reality world Utherverse, DJing at least once a week at one of the longest-established European-style nightclubs in that world, Excess (and still DJing there today, almost 5 years later!).  From mid-2011 to mid-2015 I also DJed for the premier gay club in Utherverse, Boxers. and although I have left Boxers I still support events they have at their venue.  Being an interent DJ is a fun experience, and gives me a way to relax and keep my love of club music alive.

I've been a collector of Club Music since the late-1980s, and my collection is huge, with well over 5000 different titles on CD-Maxi, and lots of mp3 downloads for music released since the mid-2000s. I still try my best to keep up with the genres I love, trance and bigroom house (including club remixes of pop tracks, it is simply amazing just how well a mediocre pop track can be turned into a musical gem when provided the right remix by the right remixer). In this blog I will share information on new releases in the bigroom genres, as well as post lots of great -flashback- tracks as I work to reorganize my music collection in wake of moving to a new house this past June.  So if you are a fan of club music, be it house or trance, join me in this musical adventure of all things bigroom club related.


No comments:

Post a Comment